Intra-district or inter-state migrant workers are the back bone of the Indian economy. The promise of decent working and living conditions drives the movement of migrant workers, both men and women including children, to seek out opportunities in other parts of the country. Labour migration can offer valuable opportunities for many people who are unable to secure adequate work in their own village or who have little choice but to leave their native place for number of reasons. Women and Children migrant workers are particularly vulnerable to human rights violations. They face multiple levels of discrimination and a general lack of protections in place in the jobs available to them, such as domestic work. Fundamental human rights that apply to all migrants, regardless of their status, which are set out in the core international and national human rights law.
The role of the Advocacy is entering here for restoration of life, livelihoods, equality and dignity of the helpless. Key responsibilities are…
- Promote the rights of workers in unorganised sectors, migrant persons, marginalised workers and other vulnerable labour groups including children across the country;
- Raise the visibility of workers’ community members in improving the enjoyment of fundamental human rights and decent in work and wage payment;
- Reflect on progress and challenges in ensuring and enjoying fundamental freedoms of the unorganised sectors in all areas;
- Engage multiple stakeholders across the country including media and mobilize workers’ class for dignity and safety at all stages of life;
- Introduce digitalised communication, information and build knowledge, database and engage participatory decision-making process;
- Influence polices and schemes at state and central that involves participation of weaker sections for sustainable and inclusive growth;
- Enforce effective implementation of pro-labour legislations and enhance the impact of constitutional provisions for all citizens;
- Empower the working communities by increasing their bargaining power with democratic demonstrations; and
- Record the best practices, good approaches and successful stories for replication and scaling up for greater results.